.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Life is not about getting to the destination, life is what happens to you on the way there. 

Monday, August 09, 2004

Suprising children

First born continues to amaze me. I have been fighting with him for over a year to get him to read a book. Well, about 6 months ago I bought the first 4 in this series : The Spiderwick Chronicles . Everyone in the family loves them except Mr. Neverread. Well, the other day, I dug out his game boy that I was holding hostage until he reads a book and proceeded to play with it. He immediately picked up a book and started reading. Finished the first book in ONE DAY. I told him it was a good thing to read, but the first book only earned him the right of possibly getting play time withthe game boy. Now he had to earn the play time. That got us the second book read all teh way through (with plot retention) in 12 hours (only 1 hour of that was spent reading - these are NOT hard books). I was thrilled. He got play time with it - I told him he could keep his play time with it if he kept reading books. I've limited him to 1 hour per day, and only if he has read something. Easy books like Spiderwick should be no trouble for him.

All I can say is thank goodness for breakthroughs! Once Spiderwick is exhausted, I will be moving on to the Lemony Snicket series. I think it has also helped that I have subscribed him to every free sports magazine and some weird ones (Private Pilot, Fly Fishing, Game Pro) and make him read those as well. I figure if it can't be a book, at least it's something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Free Counter
Teak Furniture