.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Life is not about getting to the destination, life is what happens to you on the way there. 

Friday, December 17, 2004

The tale of the burnt penguins. AKA Crispy Christmas Critters!

I've written before how little time I have to get things ready for Christmas - and I'm not kidding, ,I have my days rationed. "On this day I do this project, ,on that day I do this other project, on the other day I finish the third project...." and these projects, well they aren't small. For example: I've just finished painting 38 christmas cards yesterday adn now need to glue on glitter and assemble the cards. The painting of said cards took me three days.

Well, this isn't describing the burnt penguins...

I joined in an ornament swap this year and needed 24 handcrafted ornaments which ordinarily would not be a big deal for me but I was shorted a week of prep time. Also, it doesn't help that I changed my mind on what type of ornament I was going to bring at the last minute. So, last night for 4 hours I was busy making 24 little penguins out of clay and putting in little glass eyes and making tiny beaks and huge loopy santa hats for them. I think if I ever see another penguin I will scream. 24 doesn't sound like a lot, but people, IT IS A LOT. So, I was finishing them up at about 1am yesterday (the party is tonight - yea this is so TOTALLY last minute) and turned the oven on and put them in. That's not bad because this is oven bake clay, but IDIOT ME thinks that since I forgot to pre-heat the oven, they can stay in there 5 extra minutes. So, 20 minutes later I am smelling something weird and the timer goes off. I pull out my tiny HARD-TO-MAKE penguins that are going to make me the coolest mom at the ornament swap and notice that the pink and green hats arent pink and green anymore. They are splotchy with brown bits. The white bits are PURPLE.

Yeah - that's what happens to burnt clay. Remember this was at 1am, I normally go to sleep at 10pm. I totally lost it and just had a fit. I still don't know if I will go to the ornament swap. It all depends on how fast I can think of another ornament and make 24 of them. I do know that if I have to make another tiny penguin I will scream.

The one on the left there is one that I made when I was still deciding on ornaments. You can tell I spent more time on him cause he's got feet, a bow tie, and a floofy white rim on his hat. With 24 penguins, I didn't have time for those details. Anyhow - he's there to show you what they are SUPPOSED to look like.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cate said...

As a doll artist once wrote to me, "Congratulations, you are now a member of the burnt fingers and noses club." The penguins are adorable. I LOVE polymer clay. When I figure out how to add pictures, I'll put some of my work on my site. In the meantime, let me say, you are my hero...I mean painted Christmas Cards? Wow! I need some of the batteries that keep you going.

12/17/2004 11:05:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The burnt little fellas are kind of nice-
in a Jerry Garcia kind of way!
-Jen from MI

12/17/2004 11:07:00 AM  
Blogger Cate said...

Karry, I just had an idea. Instead of making 24 more, new ornaments, you might send your little singed penguin with a poem. I tried to think of one to help. It's crude, but maybe you can revamp it to make it better. The first two verses are like limericks, the others are totally different, but I don't have time to straighten it out before I send it. Hope it helps. Cate

A tiny penguin named Po,
Decided on vacation to go.
Florida was his pick,
He'd ride with St. Nick,
But he knew he'd have to lay low.

So Po stowed away,
On Santa's big sleigh,
And tucked himself in tight.
He rode all night till the temp was right,
Then flung himself out of the way.

His beak was singed,
His belly, too.
As he tumbled past Santa,
in a dark chimney flue.

He was covered with ashes,
And a little dirt,
But Po's little feelings,
Were all that was hurt.

Santa took pity,
And gave a ride to Po,
Now to one of your houses,
In Florida he'll go.

So when you see this little penguin so sooty,
Remember how he got so dirty.
And treasure the warmth of your Florida home,
Cause Florida can even cause penguins to roam.

12/17/2004 12:27:00 PM  
Blogger Karry said...

That's ADORABLE! I love that poem, it's perfect!!! I am SO going to use it. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

12/17/2004 02:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Free Counter
Teak Furniture