.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Life is not about getting to the destination, life is what happens to you on the way there. 

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Some facts about The Smiths in Florida

Just in case you think I have money, what with all the traveling I get to do and Mercedes' I get to drive and what not. (HA!)

1 - My new-to-me Mercedes [le sigh] is only mine because it's 23 years old and I paid $200 for it. It has issues.

2 - My SUV has holes in the floor that you can watch the road through. Oooo Pretty!

3 - I don't have a maid. DH would beg to differ with that I am sure. Most of the housework falls on him to complete because I work full time - but he does it - bless his heart!

4 - My wardrobe is vintage Wal-Mart and thrift store.

5 - My kids eat white bread because it is cheaper, and only put one slice of ham on their sandwiches because it's cheaper than two slices. Sometimes mustard, sometimes mayonnaise, but usually Ranch dressing or Thousand Island dressing.

6 - I earn just a smidgie more than the poverty level for a family of five - just enough to disqualify me from programs designed to help. (I know because I have checked)

7 - I got paid yesterday, but the whole paycheck went to the house payment. So - I've earned just enough to stay in my house. Thankfully I have stocked up on Ramen and pancake mix because it will be a while before I get to the store.

8 - My business wardrobe consists of two blazers and about 5 nice shirts to go under them. I have to wear the blazers to cover up the holes the dryer has eaten in my wardrobe.

9 - I make my own jewelry because I can't afford to buy it. (Do you want to buy some? I do custom orders)

10 - Sometimes, I make my own clothing. I'm working on a pop tab belt - I'm recycling the pop can tabs and weaving them into what I think looks like a wicked cool belt. I spent $2 on ribbon for it and the rest is free.

11 - I miss my family and friends up north really badly (I'm 300 miles from the nearest relative, so holidays kind of suck) and I would SO drive up there to visit in a heartbeat if I had the cash to do it with.

And finally - lest you think this is just a complaint list - I am very happy with what I have and do not have. If I had more or if I had less, it would not be the same.

I would like to leave you with this poem I got in e-mail from a friend:


I wish you enough

I wish you enough sun
to keep your attitude bright.
I wish you enough rain
to appreciate the sun more.
I wish you enough happiness
to keep your spirit alive.
I wish you enough pain
so that the smallest joys in life appear much bigger.
I wish you enough gain
to satisfy your wanting.
I wish you enough loss
to appreciate all that you possess.
I wish you enough hellos
to get you through the final good-bye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Free Counter
Teak Furniture