.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Life is not about getting to the destination, life is what happens to you on the way there. 

Monday, May 23, 2005

A different perspective

Well, so many things have gone wrong lately that I have decided to write down a list of all of them and come up with a different perspective on what happened.

1 - Middlechild sprained her thumb.
Bad thing: lots of howling and another medical bill to pay
Good thing: I have stocked up on the "free" hospital gauze, refillable ice paks, medical tape, and now own a real splint. No more popsicle stick splints for this family! No sir!

2 - Drained battery in my new car
Bad thing: down to one car for a while until we had the battery tested and were told it's still a good battery.
Good things: Saving gas money, and we now own a car charger. As long as I remember to plug my car in every night, it works great.

3 - Brakes shot on DH's car
Bad thing: Mechanic refused to fix and recommended scrapping the car cause it's so rusty.
Good thing: Mechanic got the punctured brake line changed before deciding the car was too rusty. Only charged us for his labor. Car is driveable and brakes function again. Score!

4 - Scrap at the neighborhood bus stop with crazy NAP lady
Bad thing: children intimidated, now have a hostile neighbor for unknown period of time until she decides not to renew her lease.
Good thing: Friends with the police now, NAP can't go to the bus stop and scare people any more, I have met many more wonderful parents of neighborhood kids

5 - Head lice again
Bad thing: washing almost every linen, stuffed animal, pillow and article of clothing in this house again.
Good thing: Stock in RID just went up. If only I owned stock.

6 - Washing machine broken
Bad thing: No way to do laundry, so now I have garbage bags of laundry residing in my garage.
Good thing: The machine was ugly and hadn't been spinning things dry properly for a while now. Every little thing put it off balance - wash towels? HAH! We needed a new one.

7 - Youngest being held back in Kindergarten
Bad thing: She will in all liklihood wind up being the oldest and most ridiculed child in her grade if I let this happen
Good thing: I will get to meet lots of new people as I argue myself into getting my own way and promoting her to first grade.

8 - Getting sick as a dog
Bad thing: No vacation time is accrued yet (I used it all already) so I can't take a sick day. hacking a lung in front of clients = bad
Good thing: I thought about nostril horns again and giggled myself to sleep for a couple nights. Finished several books when staying up all night hacking a lung. Remembered why I once considered tattooing "Nyquil is a sick man's nectar of the gods" in purple gel pen on my arm.

9 - sending an inappropriate e-mail out of the office and inadvertently publishing it to thousands of clients
Bad thing: LOTS of attention drawn to myself and my career
Good thing: um, well, I can't think of anything really - but I did discover that I have a really cool support group online!

10 - 9 bad things happening to me or my family in the course of a month?
Bad thing: tempers are flaring, patience is thin, everyone is stressed
Good thing: Bad thigns come in sets of three - so with three sets of three, I'm literally all done with bad things. Also, life isn't boring cause I'm guaranteed something new happening to me every day!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Sweetie, I understand how you feel... I remember when we were in the middle of corn and soybeans and we had years of bad luck also... but it made us stronger and drew us closer together... and I am sure you remember all those happy times... (smile)I miss you all and I wish I could be closer. Life will get better, don't give up. Love you, Mom

5/24/2005 07:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well at least you can find some good coming out of the bad! Keep up head up things will get better. Rachel

5/24/2005 12:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Free Counter
Teak Furniture