.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Life is not about getting to the destination, life is what happens to you on the way there. 

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Disappointed

It's kindergarten again. She's twice their size. They've put her in a special classroom with only 10 students and are trying to tell me that she may have a "processing" problem. She scored outstanding on today's test except in one critical area where there are letter blends. She only got slightly over half those right. I haven't been home enough to work with her on letter blends. I made flash cards but DH says he can't pronounce them so he can't work with her and I work to darn much to do it myself and the other two kids can't do it.

Last year they told me it was letter recognition and sight words - so that's what I emphasized. Letter blends I touched on but didn't stress them....

Now it's letter blends I am fighting.

Where did I go wrong? According to the test she took, I barely held her at the same level she was at at the end of kindergarten and she has made no improvements. How can that be? HOW CAN THAT BE???

They say she has to be in kindergarten the whole year and cannot skip up to first later.

so....

Anyone know of a reputable independent testing place I can take her to???

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well... I don't think she has a processing problem, she tends to be a little quiet but she takes after her daddy. (I think she is a deep thinker like him) Letter blends are hard, even for adults. As far as her staying at the same level... congratulations! Most kids lose half of what they learned the year before. So she is doing remarkably well for staying at the level she left school last year... so you did a good job! I wish things could be easier for you... you have a lot of responsibility. FYI... I also thought that it was silly when they kept your brother back in kindergarten because of speech difficulty... but he did better the next year. So maybe the teacher can make her feel important because she will know more than the other children. Good luck getting an independant tester. Didn't know that they did stuff like that. Love you, MOM

7/27/2005 12:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, I completly understand how disappointed you are. About her staying at the same level, I have to agree with your mom. Since I've been out of school I can't remember much of nothing. LOL. Don't know anything about independent testing. Good Luck. Rachel

7/27/2005 03:23:00 PM  
Anonymous kattghoti said...

I'm very sorry about the disappointment. If I can give any amount of encouragement it would be this: This situation could be better for her in the long run. I had the opposite school life: I started a year early because I tested so well. There is a higher rate of children with depression when they are younger than their classmates. I know I fit in a lot less than my classmates who were older than average, I was always left behind, always the outcast. I can hope that your daughter will take this opportunity to find a strong leadership role (but not the rude bossy kind!) as she gets older and further into school.

7/27/2005 05:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karry, I'm so sorry. Florida is the one that should repeat a grade, not your youngest. Don't let them get by with it. I know you feel like it's you against the system. . .and it is, but I'd sure rock their boat as much as I could. Call people in authority. E-mail them. Your congressman may seem scary but he works for you. Call him (or e-mail him) and tell him about how old she is and how they're holding her again because she doesn't know her blends. (I taught blends in both first and second grades. We didn't expect kids to know them in kdg). I know a small group of ten is a great thing, but it should be for first grade not kdg. Good luck. Remember the squeaky wheel gets the oil! Cate

7/27/2005 06:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Free Counter
Teak Furniture