.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Life is not about getting to the destination, life is what happens to you on the way there. 

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Growing meat

This sounds a little gross. Okay - A LOT gross. Can you imagine? My hypothetical grandkids may never know "real" meat! They'll be all like "Ewww - what about the veins and blood" which we don't think twice about today - but I just know I will get to regale my hypothetical grandkids and great grandkids about how we actually {gasp} bought a WHOLE chicken and then {DOUBLE GASP} cut it up so we could cook it? Or... how we actually cooked a turkey WHOLE every year for thanksgiving? THE HORROR!

Also - there's the ethics of this kind of thing - growing hunks of meat in a lab for consumption - okay so it's not an animal - but is it ALIVE? If so, what kind of life can it have just sitting there in the lab quivering wetly? And if it's not alive, who would want to eat something that was roadkill from the instant it was ... uh... concieved???? Is that even conception? Life begins with conception - that's a given so far in the world we live in - what would this kind of thing be? Un-living faux meat?

I bet it will taste like chicken. Almost everything tastes like chicken.

This is just really not appealing to me at all - I hope it flops for food grade chunks of meat. Maybe there will be medical reasons for doing it but I can't even imagine what that would taste like, let alone what kinds of chemicals would have to be pumped into the faux meat and if I put that faux meat inside me, what will that faux meat to do my own non-faux meat shell that I inhabit? I like my shell, thank you. I'm going to pass on this faux meat for a good long time.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cate said...

Karry, the weather's looking rough for Florida on the Weather Channel with Hurricane Dennis upgraded. Just wanted to let you know I'm praying for you all. Cate

7/10/2005 09:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Free Counter
Teak Furniture