.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Life is not about getting to the destination, life is what happens to you on the way there. 

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

What makes people like this tick?

If you are anything like me, you will likely be reading in the news about the little 8year old girl, Shasta, that they just found with a serial rapist. Her mother, mother's boyfriend, and older brother were bludgeoned to death about 6 weeks ago. Shasta, and her 9yr old brother Dylan were taken. They found Shasta. They didn't find Dylan yet.

Now they know who did it, or at least are pretty certain (I mean, she was with the guy! His car was stolen weeks before, with stolen plates a few days before). So- I read in the news that he maintained a website - and because I'm either sick or morbidly interested, or twisted, or all three, I googled it up. He maintained a blog on blogspot just like I do here, and in this blog, he discusses his internal anguish and I'm sure also fabricates some alibis. (He quite frankly admits that there are other crimes he has comitted and nobody knows about but him - quite chilling actually, because a crime against a person involves the other person, and if that person can't tell, well...)

I don't know why I looked it up, other than the fact that people like this fascinate me, much like how Hannibal Lecter fascinated Clarice Starling in The Silence of the Lambs. I am drawn to reading about this like a moth is drawn to a flame.... just what in the world makes these people tick? How can they possibly be so twisted and warped that this kind of thing actually really does make sense in their own logic? And it does make sense to them. They see it as normal. I'm intrigued as to why. Don't worry, I promise I'm not a freak - just weirdly inclined.

Someone is going to make a fortune off of this guy and what he did. I'm no money-grubber, but I see a major motion picture coming out of this, or at the least a mini-series. A book is obvious, much of the text would be written by the psychopath himself! Who WOULDN'T buy something like that? From the mouth of the man himself - here is all the why and angst and lies. Click here to read the original, click here to read an archived copy if Blogger took down the original.

For a very interesting discussion on the blog, click here.

Some chilling excerpts from the blog:
12:06 pm, Police car in front of me at stop light. I notice that I’m not as nervous as I used to be pulling up behind a police car. I marvel for a moment about how much time the officer must spend concerning himself with registration laws, when he could be doing something else. I wonder if he recognizes me? Not likely, probably doesn’t even consciously see me behind him. Just heading back to the station, probably not even aware I exist. That thought makes me feel better.

.................here's another snip....................
I was searching for information about the effects of registration laws on sex crimes. I have been searching off and on for months. I have found nothing yet. A lot of hollow claims, but no data. Hmmmm. I suspect sex crimes are up, especially the violent stranger type.....I could never guess why. What would ever make a person behave so angrily toward another completely innocent person? Could it be that that innocent person somehow represents society, and the violation is some kind of attempt to regain control...

............. yet another snip - and this one is almost profound............
My one message to any who finds these words might be: Seek the Truth and follow your own path. But the message you take from this blog should be your own, defined by your own limits, not mine or anyone else’s. Mother Teresa could see God's Love in the eyes of a beggar, and yet many kings would give their kingdoms for the same sight.

Again, I ask - what makes these guys tick? Utterly fascinating....

4 Comments:

Blogger HomeFireBlue said...

Ohh, creepy, creepy, creepy!

I'm just the opposite from you, these sorts make my flesh crawl to the point that I cannot read about them. I have a tough time reading the news stories!

Of course, I'm also of the mind that we should be killing these guys (once proven guilty, of course). And I don't mean after long drawn-out appeal-filled years. I mean right after the verdict is read.

I guess they'd consider my view odd!

-Blue

7/05/2005 03:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Blue on this. I've had it with letting "convicted sex-offenders" out to walk the streets and prey on innocent victims. We need to protect people from these perverts and if doing so means they never see daylight again that's ok with me. They deserve what they get.

And for the media to exploit the victims to satiate the public's appetite for gore. . . am I the only one that thinks it's wrong and should be a crime in itself?
My husband watches American Justice, Cops, and all these other warped shows that use actual photographic footage of the victims of the crimes as they were found. It's appalling. They are vicimized over and over along with their families.
And while I'm on my rant, I think it should be considered a crime to do biographies of killers and child molesters and movies about them, too. We should not glorify people who deserve to rot in hell.

Cate

7/05/2005 07:26:00 PM  
Blogger Karry said...

I agree with both of you - sort of. I don't neccesarily think that it should be splashed around in the news, but what if it wasn't? I mean, if nobody discussed the problem, then a lot of people would never know it existed, and potentially there would be a lot more victims who don't know what to look out for. Not to be trite, but knowledge is power.

I do think that the crimes are glorified in the media, and that they could be handled in a better - more tasteful way, but I don't want to NOT read biographies about serial killers and rapists - because once you know what makes that person tick, you can clue in to how they found their victims. Once you know that - you know one more thing to protect yourself with. Again, knowledge is power.

Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I don't think that people who do these kinds of things are sane, or even remotely "fixable", but I do think that people like this are "preventable". If we can figure out what got the person to where he was mentally so that the crime could be comitted, then perhaps we will know what to avoid and how to handle others who may be borderline and only need that "one more thing" to tip them over the edge.

I also think the punishment should fit the crime. In reading this guy's blog, I see there was a lot of anguish over his own child abuse/molestation that he never dealt with and that he wanted to commit suicide. he's (pardon my french) too chickenshit to do it though. So he's taking the easy way out - trying to do somethign so bad that someone will do the job for him and sentence him to death. With this particular case, knowing what I know because of his writings, because eh wanted to die so badly, I believe this guy should be left alive to deal with his demons. That's probably the worst punishment he could be given. I'm definitely against parole though. He knows what he did was wrong. Even while he planned it, he knew it was wrong.

So - I basically want to know what made them the way they were, and from that I can figure out how to avoid it - not only with my own children, but with not inadvertently exposing myself and my kids to situations that people like this prey upon.

7/05/2005 09:34:00 PM  
Blogger Karry said...

Oh - interesting note on biographies - I have a biography of the ramirez brothers (killed their parents) and in the prologue, the author talks about jets hitting the world trade center in New York. It was couched in jest, I can't remember exactly how it went, but the scariest thing is that the book was so precise when placed next to 9-11 that it's scary. The book was published in the 1980s. DECADES prior to 9-11. I'll go fish it off my shelf so I can give you guys more information....

7/05/2005 09:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Free Counter
Teak Furniture