.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Life is not about getting to the destination, life is what happens to you on the way there. 

Sunday, August 07, 2005

There's actually a name for this

It's a weird effect I thought was normal until I got into junior high and high school, and by then I didn't talk about it cause I would have been labeled crazy. DH still looks at me that way when occasionally I will tell him something smells brown or tastes green, however.

Turns out there is a name for it: Synesthesia. More information here and here.

Pretty much what it is is where one sense overlaps on another sense. So - I can taste vegetable soup and call it green flavored. The letter E is blue. Squares are red. It's why I can read a book and feel like I am watching a movie. Those aren't words on paper, those are pictures.

Apparently I'm not nuts, and there's a real scientific term for it. NEAT!

2 Comments:

Blogger HomeFireBlue said...

Ohhhh, I do this too! Especially the book thing. This is why I am always so dissappointed in films made from books. Not that they changed the plot or it took place in Florida instead of South Carolina, but because they CAST THE WRONG PEOPLE! When I read a book I instantly get a visual of the character - down to unmentioned details like jewelry or freckles. I even see the whole room they're in.

Yay, I'm ... less weird.

-Blue

8/10/2005 01:51:00 PM  
Blogger ~Shibby~ said...

I do the book thing, too! Haha. That's why I was disappointed when I watched The Five People You Meet In Heaven after having just read the book. Everything was wrong. Haha.

But that's so odd that it's an actual term!

8/16/2005 12:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Free Counter
Teak Furniture