.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Life is not about getting to the destination, life is what happens to you on the way there. 

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Arachnophobia

I have passed on the arachnaphobia gene to my daughter in all it's doubtful glory. I had wondered for a while but last night I knew for sure. It was one in the morning, and all the kids had camped out in the living room because it was a weekend and that's when bedtimes and designated sleep location rules are lifted. DH and I were sleeping and the TV was on in the living room softly playing whatever cartoon channel it was tuned to. Everyone was quiet and you might even say asleep - or so it seemed... and that was when I heard a short eeek and then I heard middlechild calling for firstborn. I thought nothing of it because they sometimes talk to eachother of fight over blankies while they are sleeping on the living room floor. Also - my kids? if there's no anguish or fear in the scream it's not worth figuring out what it was. I drifted back to sleep.

What happened next words cannot even begin to describe. There was a blood curdling SHRIEK, much yelling and then my bedroom door slammed. My eyes shot open and I screamed. I was paralyzed with fear. All my nightmares were coming true - the kids were screaming and yelling, somethign was in my room, ,the dogs were barking. To say I nearly wet the bed would be a pretty accurate description.

DH leaped out of the bed and threw open the door and hollered out at the kids "what's wrong what's going on here?"

I was too scared to move, but I was making plans to get to the phone in the bedroom and dial 911.

Turns out - there was a spider crawling on the floor next to middlechild. She woke up face to face (face to palp?) with it. It was out hunting and wandered into the house. The dogs were trying to eat it. One of firstborn's jobs from this months job draw is to be the designated spider catcher/releaser person. So Middlechild was hollering for him to come catch it. He was a bit crabby at being woken up in the middle of the night to catch a spider so he slammed his bedroom door - which caused a vaccuum and made my bedroom door rattle loudly. Which of course - woke me up and nearly made me wet the bed.

Spiders grow big down here - counting legs (that were curled a bit!) you were talking a spider that was about the size of a 50 cent piece. I think I would have freaked out too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Free Counter
Teak Furniture