.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Life is not about getting to the destination, life is what happens to you on the way there. 

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Gasoline

People in some parts of Georgia have to pay $5 and $6 per gallon for gasoline. A local county down here is suspending school buses because there isn't enough diesel to fill the demand. My co-workers are telling me about driving from gas station to gas station to find some with actual gas. The whole United States infrastructure is built on gasoline and oil. I am REALLY wishing I had that hybrid vehicle now. I only live about 5 miles from work - I need DH to fix the tires on my bike (Firstborn flattened them for me when he was upset about some punishment or other - wasn't he so kind?)

The world as we know it will never be the same after all of this calms down. I can point the finger at many things, but two things stand out in my mind: The war in Iraq and our refusal to go to other means of powering our lifestyles.

Someone once told me that you can convert a diesel engine to run on used vegetable oil. That's starting to look like a good idea to me - I know where I can get free used vegetable oil. I can clean it - I know how to do that much already. Of course I'm not serious about the vegetable oil thing right now - but maybe, just maybe, I will have to do that. Sure wish I had a hybrid.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

From science class... don't potatoes have energy in them? We all can become potato farmers...only kidding.... I have been in a gas crisis before... we always land on our feet... americans are smart and creative... i have faith. As far as the Iraq war... I am sure that the people who live over there are happy not to live under Sadham anymore and I am glad we don't have to deal with him either. I am proud of our fighting men and women fighting for freedom. And freedom is one reason we are creative... because we are not oppressed. Iraq will win! Love, MOM

9/01/2005 06:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS... Gas here is 2.99 and that is the cheap place. Mom

9/01/2005 06:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Free Counter
Teak Furniture